Turmeric is one of the most researched herbs with over 6000+ articles published on it. The most interesting finding about this amazing root, is that many of the studies found the health benefits rival, and may even eliminate, many pharmaceuticals!
The active ingredients in turmeric are called curcuminoids, the most familiar being curcumin.
Below are just a few of the impressive benefits of curcumin:
- Antioxidant - curcumin is a powerful antioxidant that can scavenge the body for free radicals, many of which are produced by activated immune cells such as macrophages that can damage proteins and DNA in our cells.
- Anti-Inflammatory - curcumin and the other curcuminoids have amazing benefits for brain function. Curcuminoids can cross the blood-brain barrier and reduce neuroinflammation which has been linked to cognitive decline.
- Anti-Cancer - a number of studies have shown turmeric’s ability to kill cancer cells and prevent more from growing.
- Diabetes Management - turmeric is one of the best natural remedies for reversing insulin resistance and lowering blood sugar. One study from 2009 found that turmeric was 400 times more potent than Metformin!
- Gastro-Intestinal Benefits – those with stomach and digestive issues often times become intolerant to many medical interventions due to the damage they cause to the good bacteria in the gut. An in-depth analysis of all the studies evaluating curcumin’s ability to manage inflammatory bowel disease (IBS, Crohn’s disease, and Ulcerative Colitis) found that many patients were able to stop taking their prescribed corticosteroids because their condition improved so dramatically by taking curcumin!
How to Add Turmeric to Your Nutrition
There are a few ways to add turmeric to your daily nutrition. Adding turmeric root to smoothies or juices, as well as putting turmeric powder in your foods can get you some of the benefits. Consider drinking Turmeric Tea, a popular beverage in Asia.
Curmcumin supplements can also be an easy way to add it to your diet. Onnit has a great turmeric supplement, Shroomtech Immune.
About the Author:
Josh Elsesser is a fitness industry veteran with almost 29 years experience as a Fitness Professional. He specializes in helping his clients have a better functioning metabolism, through proper nutrition, hormone balance., and corrective exercise. Josh resides in Southern California and is the owner of The Metabolic Coach. You can read more of Josh’s articles at www.themetcoach.com/blog
Josh’s other passion lies in the coaching and development of personal trainers. He has extensive experience training, coaching, and mentoring trainers at all stages of their career. He is the co-founder of The Mastermind Project, ad site dedicated to providing professional and personal development to the new trainer entering the field. For more information on The Mastermind Project, please visit www.themastermindproject.org.